Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Learning Spanish with Pimsleur Spanish I

I must say, I love the Pimsleur Spanish I audio series. This has been my constant companion since I decided to start learning Spanish.
I purchased Pimsleur Spanish I about four years ago, but I never finished the audio disks. Basically, Pimsleur Spanish I consists of 15 audio CDs containing 30 one-half hour lessions. When I purchased the program, I wanted something that would get me understanding and speaking the language quickly. It's a great CD to pop in the car (or burn into an MP3and play on your I-Pod). I think that it's probably a good starting point for someone like me.

I have heard others complain that Pimsleur doesn't have enough vocabulary, but I like the fact that it's not bombarding me with long vocabulary lists. Besides, anyone using the program can supplement their vocabulary with other (free!) online Spanish language learning resources or by doing another program like Rosetta Stone or Livemocha simultaneously. I've also started using Livemocha, a free online resource, and I'll post more about my experiences with it later.

I'm happy to say that I'm now on lesson 23 out of the 30 Pimsleur I lessons. I just might manage to finish this program before Christmas! I would love to surprise the he!l out of some of my bilingual family members during the holiday with the new mad language skills I've acquired! (Or at least have a simple conversation in Spanish. Okay, that's probably more realistic...) :)

P.S. The Spanish I - 2nd Rev. Ed.: Learn to Speak and Understand Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive) (English and Spanish Edition) can be found at Amazon.com.

No comments: